Speedy Firefly Hybrid Power Generator

Speedy Hire

The Challenge
Speedy Hire was required to provide Hybrid power for Harris Academy, an £18.2m construction project in Croydon. This 102 week project, involved demolishment and rebuild of 75% of the existing Academy in Purley and refurbishment of the remaining 25% for the Harris Federation.

Whilst the new buildings were under construction, power was required for the temporary modular buildings which have no electricity. The school therefore required a temporary solution to power the interactive whiteboards, laptops, WiFi and provide a source of heat in the colder months. Due to site restrictions, power had to be positioned immediately adjacent to residential dwellings. In line with the contractor’s objectives, an energy efficient and silent solution needed to be found whilst maintaining power.

Solution
Speedy installed 3 of Firefly’s 24kVA/48kWh Cygnus® HPG’s (Hybrid Power Generators) to reduce the run time of two 200kVA diesel generators that were on site. By programming the Cygnus HPG’s to provide low-load power overnight, disruption was not caused to neighbouring residents and power to the site was maintained. The reduction in diesel generator run time resulted in substantial savings both in fuel and carbon emissions for the client.

Benefits
Over a 15 week period, Firefly’s HPG’s reduced the run time of the diesel generators by 51%, to 1,261 hours.

Results
As a result Speedy provided their client with savings of:

  • 6,179 litres in diesel fuel
  • £4,634 reduction in diesel fuel costs
  • 16.5 tonnes of CO2 emissions

Equivalent Yearly Savings:

  • 21,896 litres of diesel fuel
  • £16,422 in diesel fuel costs
  • 58.5 tonnes of CO2 emissions

Website Newsletter Sign Up
First Name*
Last Name*
Email*
Phone
Company
Company Newsletter
Aid & Development Newsletter
Construction & Plant Hire Newsletter
Festivals, Events & Broadcast Newsletter